Y2k was a big concern with many thinking that most computers would stop working when the year 2000 hit.
The worlds population exceeds Six Billion in 1999.
Lance Armstrong won the Tour de France for the first time.
John F. Kennedy, Jr. died when his light aircraft crashed into the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts. His wife, Carolyn Bessette, and sister-in-law, Lauren Bessette, were also killed.
The Blair Witch Project emerges as an instant cult classic and becomes the most profitable film of all time, grossing more than $125 million. The film cost $30,000 to make.
Popular Movies in 1999 include The Blair Witch Project, American Beauty, Three Kings, The Sixth Sense, Austin Powers- The Spy Who Shagged Me, The Matrix.
Susan Lucci won her first Daytime Emmy Award, after 19 nominations.
* The USSR detonates a 50-megaton hydrogen bomb in the largest man-made explosion in history (Oct. 29).
The merger of two major recording labels, Universal and Polygram, causes upheaval in the recording industry. It is estimated that the new company, Universal Music Group, controls 25% of the worldwide music market.
Boris Yeltsin resigns as President of Russia, replaced by Vladimir Putin.
Britney Spears releases her debut studio album, ...Baby One More Time.
* Believe - Cher
* No Scrubs - TLC
* Baby One More Time - Britney Spears
* Kiss Me - Sixpence None The Richer
* Genie in a Bottle - Christina Aguilera
* Every Morning - Sugar Ray
* Livin' La Vida Loca - Ricky Martin
* Where My Girls At? - 702
* If You Had My Love - Jennifer Lopez
* Slide - Goo Goo Dolls
* Have You Ever? - Brandy
* I'm Your Angel - R. Kelly and Celine Dion
* All Star - Smash Mouth
* Angel - Sarah McLachlan
* Smooth - Santana feat. Rob Thomas
* Bills, Bills, Bills - Destiny's Child
* Last Kiss - Pearl Jam
* All I Have to Give - Backstreet Boys
* Fly Away - Lenny Kravitz