* Singer Marvin Gaye was shot and killed by his father on April 1, 1984, the day before his 45th birthday.
* The Cosby Show debuts on NBC. The sitcom is widely considered the most popular show of the 1980s.
* Vanessa Williams the first African-American to win the Miss America title was forced to give up her crown ten months later when nude photos of her were sold to Penthouse.
* The Supreme Court rules that taping television shows at home on VCRs does not violate copyright law.
* Ronald Reagan was re-elected to his second term as US President, defeating Walter Mondale. In an historic move, Mondale selected Representaive Geraldine Ferraro as his running mate, the first time a woman appeared on the ticket for vice president.
* Molecular biologist Alec Jeffreys develops DNA testing.
* Motorola introduced its 28-ounce 'DynaTAC' cellular phone into commercial service. Each phone cost a whopping $3,500.
Michael Jackson's hair caught on fire during the shooting of a Pepsi commercial.
* A Union Carbide plant in Bhopal, India, began leaking 27 tons of the deadly gas methyl isocyanate killed 2,000 people and an additional 150,000 suffered ailments later.
* Mass marketing of cellular phones to the general public started in 1984. It was considered a technical marvel by which people could reach into their pockets, then simply make a call to someone - anywhere in the world. This new wireless gadget was bulky, expensive to operate and seemed like just another toy on the wish list of those who had lots of money.
* What's Love Got To Do With It - Tina Turner
* When Doves Cry - Prince
* Time After Time - Cyndi Lauper
* Against All Odds - Phil Collins
* 99 Luft Balloons - Nena
* Like A Virgin - Madonna
* Ghostbusters - Ray Parker Jr.
* Jump - VanHalen
* I'm So Excited - Pointer Sisters
* Oh Sherrie - Steve Perry
* Footloose - Kenny Loggins
* Owner Of A Lonely Heart - Yes
* Missing You - John Waite
* Sister Christian - Night Ranger
* Sad Songs - Elton John
* I Just Called To Say I Love You - Stevie Wonder
* Heart Of Rock N' Roll - Huey Lewis
* Pink Houses - John Cougar
* Dancing In The Dark - Bruce Springsteen