* Singer Karen Carpenter, 32, dies from an eating disorder and the word 'anorexia' entered the American vocabulary.
* Diana Ross stages a free concert in Central Park in front of 800,000 people, enduring the severe weather but vows to return the next day...and she does.
* Martin Luther King Day - At the White House Rose Garden, U.S. President Ronald Reagan signs a bill creating a federal holiday on the third Monday of every January to honor American civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr.
* Strategic Defense Initiative - U.S. President Ronald Reagan makes his initial proposal to develop technology to intercept enemy missiles. The media dub this plan 'Star Wars.'.
* Breakdancing gains popularity on the street and in the media.
* Jim Thorpe regained his 1912 decathlon and pentathlon Olympic Gold Medals, 30 years fter his death.
* M*A*S*H the TV series ends after 11 years and 251 episodes on CBS. The series finale, Goodbye, Farewell and Amen, becomes the highest rated episode in TV history.
* Korean Air flight 007 was shot down over Soviet airspace without warning.
* The FCC authorizes Motorola to begin testing cellular phone service.
* Every Breathe You Take - The Police
* Beat It - Michael Jackson
* 1999 - Prince
* Maneater - Hall & Oates
* Maniac - Michael Sembello
* Total Eclipse Of The Heart - Bonnie Tyler
* Electric Avenue - Eddie Grant
* Do You Really Want To Hurt Me - Culture Club
* Lets Dance - David Bowie
* Hungry Like The Wolf - Duran Duran
* Safety Dance - Men Without Hats
* I Love You - Climax Blues Band
* Down Under - Men At Work
* All Night Long - Lionel Richie
* Say, Say, Say - Paul McCartney & Michael Jackson
* Back On The Chain Gang - The Pretenders
* She Works Hard For The Money - Donna Summer
* What A Feeling - Irene Cara
* Sexual Healing - Marvin Gaye