* Michael Jackson releases Thriller, which sells more than 25 million copies, becoming the biggest-selling album in history.
* Princess Grace, 52, dies of injuries when car plunges off mountain road and daughter Stephanie, 17, suffers serious injuries.
* John Belushi died of a heroin & cocaine overdose.
* Cats opens on Broadway in 1982. Becomes Broadway's longest-running play.
* John W. Hinckley, Jr. found not guilty because of insanity in the shooting of President Reagan.
* Leonid I. Brezhnev, Soviet leader, dies at 75 on Nov. 10, 1982. Yuri V. Andropov, 68, was chosen as successor.
* A permanent artificial heart is implanted in a human for first time in Dr. Barney B. Clark, 61, at University of Utah Medical Center in Salt Lake City.
* 'E.T. phone home', E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, becomes one of the highest-grossing box-office successes.
* Seven people died from swallowing poisoned Tylenol. This event is why food packages are now so tightly wrapped.
* The San Fernando Valley... Home of the Valley Girls, from the neighborhoods of San Fernando Valley, made 'valspeak' the language of the day. Such sayings as: 'Whatever' - short for whatever you say, 'As if' - to express disbelief, 'Oh my God' now 'OMG' - expresses shock, 'Are you serious'- an expression of surprise, just to name a few.
* I Love Rock N' Roll - Joan Jett and The Blackhearts
* Physical - Olivia Newton John
* Ebony And Ivory - Paul McCartney/Stevie Wonder
* Centerfold - J. Geils Band
* Jack And Diane - John Cougar
* Abracadabra - Steve Miller Band
* Harden My Heart - Quarterflash
* 867-5309 - Tommy Tutone
* Eye Of The Tiger - Survivor
* Shake It Up - Cars
* Waiting For A Girl Like You - Foreigner
* Leather And Lace - Stevie Nix/Don Henley
* Key Largo - Bertie Higgins
* Lets Groove - Earth, Wind And Fire
* Rosanna - Toto
* Private Eyes - Hall And Oates
* Gloria - Laura Branigan
* Who Can It Be Now - Men At Work
* Hurt So Good - John Cougar