* John Lennon was shot and killed in 1980 by Mark David Chapman at the entrance of the building where he lived in New York City. Lennon had just returned from Record Plant Studio with his wife, Yoko Ono.
* The 'Miracle On Ice' - American hockey came of age on February 22, 1980, when the young Americans took down the mighty Red Machine from the USSR and went on to win the gold medal.
* Eight US servicemen are killed and five are injured as helicopter and cargo plane collide in abortive desert raid to rescue American hostages in Teheran on April 25, 1980.
* Ronald Reagan is elected president of the United States in a Republican sweep on Nov. 4, 1980.
* Drummer John Bonham of Led Zeppelin dies of alcohol poisoning, and singer Bon Scott of ACDC dies while drunk and choked on own vomit.
* Mount St. Helens erupts in Washington state, in the United States. The eruption was major and the only significant one to occur in the contiguous 48 US states since the 1915 eruption of Lassen Peak in California.
* The Pac-Man video game was released in Japan and by October of 1980 it was released in the United States.
* Ted Turner launches CNN and began broadcasting from Atlanta, Georgia.
* Voyager I reaches Saturn, returning data on its 14 moons as well as its more than 1,000 rings.
* Magic - Olivia Newton John
* Rock With You - Michael Jackson
* Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen
* Funky Town - Lipps,Inc.
* It's Still Rock And Roll To Me - Billy Joel
* The Rose - Bette Midler
* Escape - Rupert Holmes
* Driving My Life Away - Eddie Rabbit
* Little Jeannie - Elton John
* Cars - Gary Numan
* Ladies Night - Kool And The Gang
* Working My Way Back To You - The Spinners
* Heartache Tonight - Eagles
* Car Wash - Rose Royce
* Coward Of The County - Kenny Rogers
* Another One Bites The Dust - Queen
* Against The Wind - Bob Seger
* Upside Down - Diana Ross
* Sexy Eyes - Dr. Hook