* 11 people were trampled to death outside of Cincinnati's Riverfront Coliseum prior to a concert by The Who.
* The Sugar Hill Gang releases the first commercial rap hit, 'Rapper's Delight,' bringing rap off the New York streets and into the popular music scene.
* Philips demonstrates The Compact Disc publicly for the first time.
* ESPN or the Entertainment and Sports Programming Network began broadcasting on September 7, 1979.
* On March 28, 1979, Three Mile Island Unit 2 (TMI-2) nuclear power plant near Middletown, Pennsylvania, had a near melt-down. No one was reported killed or injured, but the accident changed many regulations for American nuclear reactors.
* The Shah leaves Iran after year of turmoil. The Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini returns to Tehran, Iran after nearly 15 years of exile.
* 52 Americans are taken hostage in Tehran. Four days later, ABC's Nighline premiered, centering on the crisis.
* April 1, 1979 - Nickelodeon TV cable network began.
* Victoria's Secret stores opened in 1979. It went national in 1982 after being aquired by Limited Brands.
* President Hasan al-Bakr resigns and Vice President Saddam Hussein replaces him in Iraq.
* Bad Girls - Donna Summer
* Ring My Bell - Anita Ward
* Reunited - Peaches & Herb
* Da Ya Think I'm Sexy - Rod Stewart
* Y.M.C.A. - Village People
* Hot Stuff - Donna Summer
* Sad Eyes - Robert John
* When You're In Love With A Beautiful Woman - Dr. Hook
* A Little More Love - Olivia Newton John
* Knock On Wood - Ami Stewart
* Don't Bring Me Down - ELO
* We Are Family - Sister Sledge
* My Life - Billy Joel
* The Gambler - Lenny Rogers
* Lonesome Loser - Little River Band
* Another Brick In The Wall - Pink Floyd
* Rock-n-Roll Fantasy - Bad Company
* Brass In Pocket - The Pretenders
Take a trip down memory lane on the way back button above or browse the 70's below.1970197119721973197419751976197719781979
Browse and listen to top radio hits of several favorite artists below.Oldies 12 Packs
Jennifer Love Hewitt