* The Sugar Hill Gang releases the first commercial rap hit, 'Rapper's Delight,' bringing rap off the New York streets and into the popular music scene.
* 11 people were trampled to death outside of Cincinnati's Riverfront Coliseum prior to a concert by The Who.
* Philips demonstrates The Compact Disc publicly for the first time.
* ESPN or the Entertainment and Sports Programming Network began broadcasting on September 7, 1979.
* On March 28, 1979, Three Mile Island Unit 2 (TMI-2) nuclear power plant near Middletown, Pennsylvania, had a near melt-down. No one was reported killed or injured, but the accident changed many regulations for American nuclear reactors.
* The Shah leaves Iran after year of turmoil. The Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini returns to Tehran, Iran after nearly 15 years of exile.
* 52 Americans are taken hostage in Tehran. Four days later, ABC's Nighline premiered, centering on the crisis.
* April 1, 1979 - Nickelodeon TV cable network began.
* Victoria's Secret stores opened in 1979. It went national in 1982 after being aquired by Limited Brands.
* President Hasan al-Bakr resigns and Vice President Saddam Hussein replaces him in Iraq.
* Bad Girls - Donna Summer
* Ring My Bell - Anita Ward
* Reunited - Peaches & Herb
* Da Ya Think I'm Sexy - Rod Stewart
* Y.M.C.A. - Village People
* Hot Stuff - Donna Summer
* Sad Eyes - Robert John
* When You're In Love With A Beautiful Woman - Dr. Hook
* A Little More Love - Olivia Newton John
* Knock On Wood - Ami Stewart
* Don't Bring Me Down - ELO
* We Are Family - Sister Sledge
* My Life - Billy Joel
* The Gambler - Lenny Rogers
* Lonesome Loser - Little River Band
* Another Brick In The Wall - Pink Floyd
* Rock-n-Roll Fantasy - Bad Company
* Brass In Pocket - The Pretenders
Jennifer Love Hewitt