* Jim Morrison dies in Paris at age 27. He is presumed to have died from a heroin overdose, but as no autopsy was performed, his death was ruled as heart failure.
* The Allman Brothers' Duane Allman dies in a motorcycle accident at age 24.
* The infamous Ed Sullivan show aired it last episode in the United States in 1971.
* Queen and the Eagles were formed in 1971.
* Apollo 14 landed on the moon in 1971.
* Charles Manson and three of his followers were convicted of killing Sharon Tate and six others.
* In April 1971 500,000 people in Washington DC and 125,000 people in San Fransisco marched to protest against the Vietnam War. In the same year The Harris Poll claimed that 60% of Americans were against the war.
* Time Magazine's Man Of The Year was Richard Nixon.
* The Twenty-sixth Amendment to the US Constitution lowers the voting age to 18.
* Joy To The World - Three Dog Night
* Maggie May - Rod Stewart
* It's Too Late - Carole King
* One Bad Apple - The Osmonds
* How Can You Mend A Broken Heart - Bee Gees
* Indian Reservation - Raiders
* Take Me Home, Country Roads - John Denver
* Knock Three Times - Dawn
* Me And Bobby McGee - Janis Joplin
* Brown Sugar - Rolling Stones
* You've Got A Friend - James Taylor
* Do You Know What I Mean - Lee Michaels
* What's Going On - Marvin Gaye
* Ain't No Sunshine - Bill Withers
* Signs - Five Man Electrical Band
* Superstar - Carpenters
* Chick-A-Boom (Don't Ya Jes' Love It) - Daddy Dewdrop
* Gypsy, Tramps And Thieves - Cher
* Mr. Bojangles - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.
Mary J. Blige