* John Lennon made a statement that - 'We (Beatles) are more popular than Jesus.' Many radio stations throughout the world and US quickly banned the playing of Beatles records.
* The Monkees series debuted on NBC TV. "Hey, hey we're the Monkees - and we don't monkey around." The show ran to 1968 and won an Emmy.
* The Food and Drug Administration declares "the Pill" safe for human use for birth control.
* The 8-track tape player was a new fangled option on many Ford cars in 1966.
* In college basketball the Texas Western Miners defeated the Kentucky Wildcats with five African-American starters against and all white team ushering in desegregation in NCAA athletic recruiting.
* The first Star Trek episode, "The Man Trap," is broadcast on September 8.
* CBS backs out of plans to broadcast Psycho, deeming the movie too violent for at-home viewing.
* The US Supreme Court rules in the Miranda case that police must inform suspects of their rights before questioning them.
* An artificial heart is installed in the chest of Marcel DeRudder in a Houston hospital.
* The drug LSD is made illegal in California.
* The hand-held calculator was invented at Texas Instruments.
* Cartoon genius Walt Disney dies at age 65.
* The Ballad Of The Green Berets - Sgt. Barry Sadler
* Last Train To Clarksville - Monkeeys
* California Dreaming - Mamas and Papas
* Everyday People - Sly and The Family Stone
* Reach Out I'll Be There - Four Tops
* Summer In The City - Lovin' Spoonful
* Monday, Monday - Mamas and Papas
* 96 Tears - ? and The Mysterians
* You Keep Me Hanging On - Supremes
* We Can Work It Out - Beatles
* Paint It Black - Rolling Stones
* These Boots Are Made For Walking - Nancy Sinatra
* Sunny - Bobby Hebb
* Hanky Panky - Tommy James and The Shondelles
* Sunshine Superman - Donovan
* Lil' Red Riding Hood - Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs
* Good Lovin' - Young Rascals
* Cherish - The Association
* Cherry, Cherry - Neil Diamond
Take a trip down memory lane on the way back button above.