* in 1965 President Lyndon Johnson signed into law Medicare, which provides low-cost hospitalization and medical insurance for the nation's elderly.
* The Vietnam War escalates with over 100,000 troops and an intensive bombing campaign and the first campus protests against the war begin. In June Congress authorizes the use of ground troops.
* Black nationalist leader Malcolm X is shot to death in New York leading to race riots in Watts section of Los Angeles resulting in 34 deaths.
* Caution: 'Cigarette Smoking May Be Hazardous To Your Health' - US Surgeon General.
* The Beatles and Elvis Presley, the two biggest names in rock history, meet for the only time at Presley's Los Angeles home. While there John Lennon boldly asks his idol why he doesn't record rock 'n' roll anymore.
* Alan Freed, who coined the term "rock 'n' roll" and introduced it to white America a decade earlier, dies broke and forgotten at age 44 of alcoholism.
* The mini-skirt makes its debut in time for 35 million baby boomer women.
* On March 7, 1965, an estimated 525 to 600 civil rights marchers headed east out of Selma on U.S. Highway 80. Televised images of the brutal attack from state troopers presented people with horrifying images of marchers left bloodied and severely injured.
* The ultr-resilient Super Ball is the biggest toy fad since the Hula Hoop. Skateboarding is in the midst of its first wave of national popularity.
* James Russell invented the compact disc' (CD), in 1965, although the public never got a taste of this invention until 1980.
* Wooly Bully - Sam The Sham and The Pharaohs
* I Can't Help Myself - Four Tops
* Satisfaction - Rolling Stones
* You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' - Righteous Brothers
* Downton - Petula Clark
* Help - Beatles
* My Girl - Temptations
* Help Me, Rhonda - Beach Boys
* The Birds And The Bees - Jewel Aikens
* Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me - Mel Carter
* I Got You Babe - Sonny and Cher
* Shotgun - Jr. Walker and The All Stars
* This Diamond Ring - Gary Lewis and The Playboys
* Mr. Tambourine Man - Byrds
* What's New Pussycat - Tom Jones
* Hang On Sloopy - McCoys
* Ticket To Ride - Beatles
* Like A Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan
* Turn, Turn, Turn - Byrds
Take a trip down memory lane on the way back button above or browse the 60's below.1960196119621963196419651966196719681969
Browse and listen to top radio hits of several favorite artists below.Oldies 12 Packs
Sarah Jessica Parker
Robert Downey Jr.