Kick back and enjoy popular radio hits of 1964.
* The Beatles arrived in the U.S. and appeared live on "The Ed Sullivan Show" in February of 1964. By April, they owned the top five positions on the Billboard Hot 100 list.
* Three young civil rights activists - James Chaney, Andrew Goodman and Michael Schwerner - were slain in Mississippi during the Freedom Summer movement to register black voters.
* Sam Cooke was murdered apparently drinking and killed over a misunderstanding.
* Cassius Clay defeated Sonny Liston on on February 25, 1964 and later changed his name after joining the Nation of Islam to Muhammad Ali.
* "Mary Poppins," "My Fair Lady," the James Bond film "Goldfinger" and the Beatles' "A Hard Day's Night" premiered at the movies in 1964.
* In his State of the Union address, President Johnson declared a "war on poverty" that helped pave the way for Medicare and Medicaid.
* Sidney Poitier became the first African-American to win an Oscar for best actor, for "Lilies of the Field."
* Audrey Hepburn did not get an Oscar nomination for her performance in My Fair Lady. Marni Nixon did the singing, so the Academy figured it was "half a performance".
* Jazz artist Dizzy Gillespie ran for president, promising to rename the White House "the Blues House" and appoint Ray Charles librarian of Congress, Miles Davis head of the CIA, and Malcolm X attorney general.
* The first Ford Mustang rolled off the assembly line in Dearborn, Mich.
* I Want To Hold Your Hand - Beatles
* She Loves You - Beatles
* Oh' Pretty Woman - Roy Orbison
* I Get Around - Beach Boys
* My Guy - Mary Wells
* We'll Sing In The Sunshine - Gale Garnett
* Last Kiss - J. Frank Wilson and The Cavaliers
* A Hard Day's Night - Beatles
* Do Wah Diddy Diddy - Manfred Mann
* Under The Boardwalk - Drifters
* Chapel Of Love - Dixie Cups
* Glad All Over - Dave Clark Five
* Rag Doll - Four Seasons
* Bread And Butter - Newbeats
* Dead Man's Curve - Jan And Dean
* Come A Little Bit Closer - Jay and The Americans
* Baby Love - Supremes
* Wishin' And Hopin' - Dusty Springfield
* The House Of The Rising Sun - The Animals
Take a trip down memory lane on the way back button above or browse the 60's below.1960196119621963196419651966196719681969
Browse and listen to top radio hits of several favorite artists below.Oldies 12 Packs