* Soviet missile bases are detected in Cuba and President Kennedy demands their removal. This is the closest the U.S. and U.S.S.R. ever come to war. The crisis is resolved when Soviets agree to remove Cuban missiles in exchange for removal of U.S. missiles in Turkey.
* On August 4, 1962, Marilyn Monroe's death was caused by an overdose of sleeping pills. Conspiracy theories involve the mob, President John F. Kennedy and his brother Robert Kennedy. Ex-husband and baseball great Joe DiMaggio took care of all of the funeral arrangements although the couple had divorced in 1954.
* The First Wal-Mart discount store is opened by Sam Walton in Bentonville Arkansas, and The first Kmart department store opens in Garden City, Michigan in 1962
* Decca Records A&R executive Dick Rowe turned down the Beatles for a record deal and reportedly told their manager, "Guitar groups are on the way out." He made up for the mistake by signing the Rolling Stones the following year.
* "Heeere's Johnnny! - Ed McMahon introducing the new 'Tonight Show'.
* John Glenn becomes the first American in orbit when he circles the earth three times in the Mercury capsule.
* By a vote of 6 to 1, the Supreme court bans prayer in public schools.
* Philadelphia 76er's 7-foot basketball center, Wilt Chamberlain, scores a record 100 points in a game against the New York Knicks.
* Movies in 1962 - Lawrence of Arabia, To Kill a Mockingbird, Cape Fear, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, The Miracle Worker, The Manchurian Candidate, Dr. No, Spartacus, El Cid.
* The first transatlantic television transmission occurs via the Telstar Satellite.
* Mashed Potato Time - Dee Dee Sharp
* The Twist - Chubby Checker
* I Can't Stop Loving You - Ray Charles
* The Stripper - David Rose
* The Loco-Motion - Little Eva
* Soldier Boys - Shirelles
* Hey Baby - Bruce Channel
* Let Me In - Sensations
* The Wanderer - Dion
* Breaking Up Is Hard To Do - Neil Sedaka
* Wolverton Mountain - Claude King
* Good Luck Charm - Elvis Presley
* Slow Twistin' - Chubby Checker - Dee Dee Sharp
* Twistin' The Night Away - Sam Cooke
* Ramblin' Rose - Nat King Cole
* Break It To Me Gently - Brenda Lee
* Sealed With A Kiss - Brian Hyland
* Peppermint Twist - Joey Dee and The Starlighters
* Don't Break The Heart That Loves You - Connie Francis
Jon Bon Jovi