* Patsy Cline releases "I Fall to Pieces" and "Crazy." The success of the songs help her cross over from country to pop.
* Roger Maris hits a record 61 home runs during the 1961 season for the New York Yankees, breaking Babe Ruth's single-season record of 60 home runs in 1927.
* "Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country. - President John F. Kennedy (1961) inauguration.
* Soviet cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin becomes first human in space during a single-orbit flight while Commander Alan Shephard Jr. becomes the first American in space in a suborbital flight aboard Mercury 3. Virgil Grissom follows in similar fashion two months later.
* The Soviets along with East Germany erects the Berlin Wall between East and West Berlin to halt the flood of refugees.
* Ibuprofen was introduced to the public in 1961, and became available as an over-the-counter drug in 1984.
* 1,200 US-sponsored anti-Castro exiles invade Cuba at the Bay of Pigs (April 17), the attackers are all killed or captured by Cuban forces.
* The USSR detonates a 50-megaton hydrogen bomb in the largest man-made explosion in history (Oct. 29).
* "Yabba Dabba Do" The Flintstones new TV Show in 1961.
* Black and Decker introduced the first cordless power drill, powered by a nickle-cadmium battery, also, Pampers disposable diapers were available for the first time.
* Runaround Sue - Dion
* Tossin' And Turnin' - Bobby Lewis
* Hit The Road Jack - Ray Charles
* I Fall To Pieces - Patsy Cline
* Crazy - Patsy Cline
* Please Mr. Postman - Marvelettes
* Stand By Me - Ben E. King
* Cupid - Sam Cooke
* Where The Boys Are - Connie Francis
* Last Night - Mar-Keys
* Runaway - Del Shannon
* Can't Help Falling In Love - Elvis Presley
* Pony Time - Chubby Checker
* Duke Of Earl - Gene Chandler
* Barbara Ann - The Regents
* Big Bad John - Jimmy Dean
* Blue Moon - The Marcels
* Crying - Roy Orbison
* Travelin' Man - Ricky Nelson
Billy Ray Cyrus
Michael J. Fox