* Seventy million people watch the presidential debate between Sen. John F. Kennedy and Vice President Richard Nixon. John Kennedy won the Presidency with one of the smallest margins in history ( 113,000 votes ) out of 68.3 million.
* The term paparazzi originated with Italian director Federico Fellini's La dolce vita. One of the minor characters in the film was a photographer named Paparazzo. Fellini took Paparazzo's name from the Italian word for a noisy mosquito.
* The sexual revolution of the 60's had begun with the use of birth control pills and Hugh Hefner opening the first of his Playboy clubs in Chicago.
* Chuck Berry got in some legal trouble when he took a 14-year-old girl from Arizona to Missouri to work at his Bandstand club. Her work didn't require clothes, apparently.
* France tests its first atomic bomb and joins those countries with nuclear bomb technology.
* The mysterious BLACK KNIGHT Satellite was seen by both Russian and American Air Defense units. At 15 tons, was bigger than any country could have sent at that time. It disappeared after about three weeks.
* Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho terrifies movie-goers and becomes one of the year's most successful films, as well as one of the most memorable psychological thrillers.
* Elvis Presley is discharged from the Army and immediately scores a series of hit singles and albums upon his return with a slightly less menacing, more mature persona.
* An American U-2 spy plane, piloted by Francis Gary Powers was shot down over Russia.
* Xerox introduces the first production paper copier machine.
* Running Bear - Johnny Preston
* Why - Frankie Avalon
* He'll Have To Go - Jim Reeves
* Stuck On You - Elvis Presley
* Handy Man - Jimmy Jones
* I'm Sorry - Brenda Lee
* Everybody's Somebody's Fool - Connie Francis
* Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini - Brian Hyland
* Only The Lonely - Roy Orbison
* It's Now Or Never - Elvis Presley
* Save The Last Dance For Me - Drifters
* Chain Gang - Sam Cooke
* Let It Be Me - Everly Brothers
* Alley Oop - Hollywood Argyles
* Georgia On My Mind - Ray Charles
* At Last - Etta James
* Cathy's Clown - Everly Brothers
* Stay - Maurice Williams and The Zodiacs
* This Magic Moment - Drifters
Take a trip down memory lane on the way back button above or browse the 60's below.1960196119621963196419651966196719681969
Browse and listen to top radio hits of several favorite artists below.Oldies 12 Packs
Jean-Claude Van Damme
Robin Rene Roberts
John F. Kennedy Jr.
Cal Ripken Jr.