* February 3, 1959 has become one of the most mythic days in rock 'n' roll history. It's the day the plane carrying Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson crashed in an Iowa cornfield. To many, it's simply the day the music died.
* Fidel Castro Becomes Dictator of Cuba in 1959. After General Batista's successful coup in 1952, Fidel Castro had worked to oust Batista from Cuba. At first, Castro used the legal system but when that didn't work, he resorted to violence.
* In 1959 Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis jr., Joey Bishop and Peter Lawford were in Las Vegas to film Ocean's Eleven. In the evenings, Sinatra, Martin and Davis performed individually, rotating evenings. The three stars started making appearances in each other's shows and 'kidding around' on stage to the delight of the audience.
* Integrated Circuit (microchip) forerunner of the microprocessor, was invented by Jack Kilby and future Intel founder Robert Noyce.
* The Conair hair dryer changed the way hair was styled in the American household.
* The Barbie Doll was created in 1959 by Ruth Handler, who was one of the founders of the Mattel Company. Barbie was named after Ruth's daughter. Later on, when the Ken doll was made, it was named after Ruth's son.
* Russia's 'Luna-2' landed on the moon, the first successful landing by an unmanned craft.
* Alaska is admitted as the 49th U.S. state and also later in 1959, Hawaii is admitted as the 50th U.S. state.
* Walt Disney releases 'Sleeping Beauty'.
* MGM's widescreen, multimillion dollar version of 'Ben-Hur' is released, becoming the studio's greatest hit up to that time. It is highly acclaimed by critics and eventually wins eleven Academy Awards.
* Mack The Knife - Bobby Darin
* Personality - Lloyd Price
* The Three Bells - The Browns
* Lonely Boy - Paul Anka
* The Battle Of New Orleans - Johnny Horton
* Venus - Frankie Avalon
* Stagger Lee - Lloyd Price
* Dream Lover - Bobby Darin
* Kansas City - Wilber Harrison
* Sleep Walk - Santo and Johnny
* Smoke Gets In Your Eyes - The Platters
* Charlie Brown - The Coasters
* Sea Of Love - Phil Phillips and The Twilights
* The Happy Organ - Dave 'Baby' Cortez
* A Teenager In Love - Dion and The Belmonts
* 16 Candles - The Crests
* There Goes My Baby - The Drifters
* Waterloo - Stonewall Jackson
* My Happiness - Connie Francis
Earvin Magic Johnson
Weird Al Yankovic