* Elvis Presley entered the United States Army at Memphis, Tennessee, on March 24, 1958.
* The toy company Wham-O introduced the Hula Hoop which grew in popularity during the summer along with the skateboard.
* Lana Turner's daughter, Cheryl, saw her mother being beaten by boyfriend Johnny Stompanato, and killed him with a kitchen knife. Some people think that Lana actually did the self-defensive killing.
* Controversy in 1958 for Jerry Lee Lewis after getting married for a third time, secretly, to the 13-year-old daughter of his cousin and partner J. W. Brown, 'Myra Gale Brown'. The marriage was unknown to the press and fans until Jerry's arrival in England. Fans again stormed the stage - but this time to express their disgust.
* DJ Alan Freed, inventor of the term 'Rock and Roll' was accused of being paid to promote specific shows on his popular radio and live shows. His career and reputation was greatly harmed by the 'payola' scandal. Also, Dick Clark's early career was nearly derailed but avoided trouble by selling his stake in a record company and cooperating with authorities.
* The American Express card was introduced in 1958.
* The First commercial domestic jet airline service in the United States opened between New York and Miami.
* Music producer Phil Spector's high-school band's first record, "To Know Him is to Love Him" rose to number one on the charts.
* The US Supreme Court rules unanimously that Little Rock, Ark., schools must integrate.
* New in 1958 are Sweet n' Low artificial sweetener and Rice-a-Roni. Cocoa Krispies and Cocoa Puffs breakfast cereals are introduced by the Kellogg Company and General Mills respectively..
* All I Have To Do Is Dream - The Everly Brothers
* Witch Doctor - David Seville
* Tequila - The Champs
* It's All In The Game - Tommy Edwards
* It's Only Make Believe - Conway Twitty
* The Purple People Eater - Sheb Wooley
* Twilight Time - The Platters
* Rockin' Robbin - Bobby Day
* Tom Dooley - The Kingston Trio
* Great Balls Of Fire - Jerry Lee Lewis
* Lollipop - The Chordettes
* Splish Splash - Bobby Darin
* Who's Sorry Now - Connie Francis
* To Know Him Is To Love Him - The Teddy Bears
* Rebel Rouser - Duane Eddy
* Peggy Sue - Buddy Holly
* Chantilly Lace - The Big Bopper
* Oh Lonesome Me - Don Gibson
* Yakety Yak - The Coasters
Take a trip down memory lane on the way back button above or browse the 50's below.1950195119521953195419551956195719581959
Browse and listen to top radio hits of several favorite artists below.Oldies 12 Packs
Jamie Lee Curtis