* Frisbee was a pie company in Connecticut. The locals used to toss the empty pie plates. Wham-O bought the rights to the product from Frederick and later introduced the flying discs, or' 'Frisbees'.
* President Eisenhower announces "Eisenhower Doctrine," pledging defense of Middle Eastern nations against communism.
* The word "Beatnik" takes hold to describe the emerging "Beat Generation" counterculture movement.
* American Bandstand with Dick Clark as host makes its network debut on ABC. The show featured teenagers dancing to top 40 music introduced by Clark.
* 71 cities now have populations of one million or more in 1957. 40 years earlier such cities numbered only 16.
* What was new in 1957 - Kentucky Fried Chicken first sold in buckets, Tang was formulated by William A. Mitchell for General Foods, Frozen pizza becomes available, Eveready produces AA size alkaline batteries, The hula-hoop was invented by Richard Knerr and Arthur "Spud" Melin and Toyota starts selling cars in the U.S.
* Movies in 1957 - The Bridge on the River Kwai, Twelve Angry Men, Sayonara, Peyton Place, Witness for the Prosecution, The Ten Commandments, Around the World in Eighty Days, Jailhouse Rock and The Three Faces of Eve.
* West Side Story" debuts on Broadway and brings violence to the stage and "The Music Man" opens in New York.
* Elvis Presley purchases a mansion in Memphis, Tennessee, and calls it Graceland.
* Popular TV Shows -TV Shows: Gunsmoke, The Danny Thomas Show, Tales of Wells Fargo, Have Gun Will Travel, I've Got a Secret, Perry Mason, Maverick, The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp.
* All Shook Up - Elvis Presley
* Love Letters In The Sand - Pat Boone
* Little Darlin' - Diamonds
* Singing The Blues - Guy Mitchell
* Young Love - Sonny James
* Too Much - Elvis Presley
* Round And Round - Perry Como
* Wake Up Little Susie - Everly Brothers
* Party Doll - Buddy Knox
* Banana Boat (Day-O) - Harry Belafonte
* Jailhouse Rock - Elvis Presley
* A White Sport Coat - Marty Robbins
* Come Go With Me - Del-Vikings
* You Send Me - Sam Cooke
* School Day - Chuck Berry
* Diana - Paul Anka
* Chances Are - Johnny Mathis
* I'm Walkin' - Fats Domino
* Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On - Jerry Lee Lewis
Take a trip down memory lane on the way back button above or browse the 50's below.1950195119521953195419551956195719581959
Browse and listen to top radio hits of several favorite artists below.Oldies 12 Packs