The Great Depression was finally beginning to ease , and Americans were earning more and buying more so being able to buy goods and further fueling the economy . But outside of America things were not good as Germany invaded France which meant between Germany and Italy most of Western Europe was controlled by them except for England.
* The 'America First Committee' was founded, and had nearly 1,000,000 members. The peace organization was designed to keep the U.S. out of World War II
* Bugs Bunny was born in in Brooklyn, NY. and the first Bugs Bunny Cartoon.
Frank Mars and Bruce Murrie manufactured a candy-coated chocolate in six different colors - red, green, yellow, brown and violet, (M&Ms).
* Red Ryder carbine-action 200-shot range model BB rifle with a compass in the stock was introduced in 1940.
* Chiune Sugihara, an unsung hero, was the Japanese consul general in Lithuania. Against tradition, and specific orders, he gave thousands of visas to nearly anyone who asked for them, and many did ask, so they could escape from the Nazi regime.
* Germany and Italy agree to form an alliance against France and the United Kingdom.
* Germany starts it's Blitz on London on September 7th with 300 German bombers in the first of 57 consecutive nights of bombing.
* The Selective Training and Service Act of 1940 became United States law on the 16th of September, 1940. This draft had required men between the ages of 21 and 35 years old to be registered for the draft lottery. The draft was expanded soon to include men between the ages of 18 and 45.
* Franklin D. Roosevelt won the 1940 Presidential election and had ran against Wendell L. Wilkie.
* Nylon stockings were sold to the general public beginning in 1940 and were instantly popular, with millions of units sold right away.
* Xerox introduces the first production paper copier machine.
* In The Mood - Glenn Miller
* When You Wish Upon a Star - Cliff Edwards
* Sierra Sue - Bing Crosby
* Body And Soul - Coleman Hawkins
* Take The A Train - Duke Ellington
* Chatanooga Choo Choo - Glenn Miller
* Frenesi - Artie Shaw
* Boogie Woogie Bugel Boy - Andrews Sisters
* Deep Purple - Artie Shaw/Helen Forrest
* The Breeze And I - Jimmy Dorsey
* There I Go - Vaughn Monroe
* Two O'clock Jump - Harry James
* You Are My Sunshine - Gene Autry
* Paper Doll - Mills Brothers
* Sentimental Journey - Les Brown/Doris Day
* Rum And Coca Cola - Andrews Sisters
* We Will Meet Again - Vera Lynn
* You Always Hurt The One You Love - Mills Brothers
* I'm Nobody's Baby - Judy Garland